Thursday, March 12, 2015

End of an Era

For as long as I've been around, my Dad has been a basketball coach. In fact, my Dad was prepared to accept a college assistant coach position at a small college when my parents found out they were having me. And, since I was in 4th grade, my Dad has worked at Wade Hampton High School. He has been the basketball coach there seemingly forever.



I grew up going to Dad's games for as far back as I can remember. In the early days, that meant sitting in the opposite side so I couldn't hear what my Dad was screaming at the refs (and mostly reading a book or something equally nerdy during the game). As Dad mellowed and I grew older, I got to sit behind the bench, then in the student section during high school, then back to my trusty place two rows up behind Dad.




However, things are about to change in the Nance household. My Dad is going to transition from the A.D. and basketball coach at WHHS, to the Greenville County Athletic Director. It's undoubtedly going to be a big change, but it's a great opportunity for Dad and I am so happy for him. 


I know Dad (and the rest of the family) is going to seriously miss this.

Miss the boys on the team.
Miss the atmosphere in the gym.
Miss the hugs I run down to get from Dad after the teams shake hands.
Miss the horrible things Sammy says to the refs.
Miss the fact that my mom has to wear a black and white striped shirt to keep the books and hates looking like a ref.
Miss hanging out in the gym/Dad's office until everyone has left the school.
Miss the late night meals after a win.
Miss the routine of the Tuesday and Friday nights
Miss having an excuse to go back to our high school.
But mostly, miss the entire package of basketball season and Wade Hampton.

However, I know this is the right move for Dad and the family. It's bittersweet, but it's the right time. So, I put together some of my favorite pictures from this season, including several from our last home game at WHHS.



Sammy and I with Lewis, the security guard for the basketball games for as long as I can remember.


Mom and Dad at center court :)


The Nance ladies



This family has a ton of great memories in this gym. :)

I am so proud of you Dad. I love you and am so excited for your next adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment