Saturday, July 28, 2012

Getting Fit

I know I have talked about it before, but Will and I are really making a push to get healthier around our house. Will is keeping up with his CrossFit workouts most mornings and using a phone app to estimate his calorie count every day, which is really helping him. I think he hit a plateau but now that he is tracking his food intake, he is starting to drop weight again.

I have been staying on track with my running and talking to my old cross country coach about what I needed to do to improve my times/endurance. I am going to pick up some speed work for cross training and work on pushing my pace during my 3 runs during the week.

I think the biggest thing that it comes down to is confidence and pushing myself. I don't run with a team, so it is sometimes difficult to keep up the motivation when the only person you have to keep you going is yourself. My best days are usually when there is an older person power walking a hill in front of me. I mean, I have to blow past them right? Even if I have already ran 2 miles, I need to beat them! I am hoping the oppressive heat will calm down in the next month or so and I'll be able to run downtown and stretch my legs on the Swamp Rabbit after work.

As far as eating, we are doing well by sticking to mostly meat and fresh veggies when we cook at home. The trick is eating that well when we are out. Hint: it doesn't happen. We have always had a weakness for going out to eat and need to curtail that for calorie and financial budgets.

Hope to be able to update you in the coming months on our progress as the Blackmon house gets fit!

No comments:

Post a Comment