Friday, July 27, 2012

Olympic Fever!

Y'all. I LOVE the Olympics! And it's that time again!



As I sit here watching the opening ceremonies, I continue to get goosebumps over what the Olympics mean. All these athletes working toward the same goals, years invested in their sport, it is an incredible commitment.

Our friends John & Steph brought baby Clara over to watch the beginning of the ceremonies, at least until it was Clara's bedtime. We had a great time eating pizza, hanging out, and bickering about the importance/awesomeness/grandeur of the Olympics (full disclosure: the bickering was all between Will and I, can you guess which side was which?)

I don't care if you think Bob Costas is a tool, or don't understand why Ryan Seacrest is somehow now involved in the Olympics. For these 2-3 weeks, swimming does matter, gymnastics is the coolest thing around, and I'll rack my brain thinking of ways I could get to the next Olympics. And for the record, yes, I still get excited about the Winter Olympics, although they don't have gymnastics, they do have that cross country skiing/shooting competition thing that is pretty cool.

My first really distinct memories of the Olympics were from the '96 Games in Atlanta. My mom made sure that we went for a day, and I remember traveling down to Atlanta, getting tickets to some random basketball game or something, and taking in a small portion of such a big tradition. That year has to be when my love of Olympic gymnastics began. Who doesn't get goosebumps when they think about Kerri Strug performing that last vault?? From Sydney to Athens to Bejing and now to London, my love of Olympics hasn't waned. And don't even get me started on those Morgan Freeman commercials. Holy moly.

And even though I can't take off the next several weeks to solely watch Olympic coverage, I can monopolize the TV every night until closing ceremonies. Hope Will learns to live with my love of the Olympics....

:)


No comments:

Post a Comment