Monday, March 5, 2012

Meeting the Neighbors

This past weekend, Will and I got to meet a lot of our neighbors. It was awful.

Normally, I would love meeting our neighbors. But not while watching this.


That's right, a house on our street caught fire. Luckily, everyone made it out of the house safely and no one was hurt. I was heading out to pick up pizza when 5 fire trucks and their water hoses stopped me in my tracks. I called Will and let him know the pizza would be pretty late. We walked down to the house and ran into our across the road neighbor, Kelly whose car was on the other side of the trucks. She offered to swing us by the pizza place to pick up dinner as she went to get dinner too.

We got to meet several sets of neighbors along the way, and while it was good to connect houses to names and faces, I couldn't help but be sad as we watched this beautiful house burn down.



It so reminds me of the things our church is walking through right now. All of our small groups are reading The Treasure Principle, by Randy Alcorn . We are really focusing in on not obsessing about what we have here on earth, but storing up treasures for ourselves in heaven.

"Lay up for yourselves treasure in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where theives do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Matthew 6:20-21

Ultimately, what we have here, we will lose, one way or another. The best that we can hope for is to use our resources effectively to futher God's kingdom. I can only hope and pray that Will and I can start to apply this more in our lives.

And here's to meeting neighbors in better circumstances next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment