Saturday, September 8, 2012

Eastside Week

It is already well established that I am probably too established in the goings-on of my high school, but like I said here, I have my reasons.

One of the things I love most about my alma mater is the tradition of Eastside Week. During this week, Wade Hampton High competes with Eastside High to raise money for a charity of each schools' choice for the schools' spirit week.  The schedule for ESW is jam-packed! Every night there are events at the schools, and during the school day (at least when I was there) not much schoolwork was being done. From mud wrestlin' to spaghetti suppers, to poultry (the competition where WHHS students couple up to raise money for the week, then reveal their totals while cross-dressed (yea, you heard me right)).

Now, there has been talk of this being the last time the schools might compete. WHHS moved up to 4A, while Eastside is still 3A. Therefore, football scheduling can be pretty difficult. However, nothing has been decided as far as I know, so I can only hope that they continue this wonderful tradition, in some way. Some of my very best memories from high school were around ESW. And more important than that, it allows high schoolers to pull together for a common goal, no matter what 'clique' you were in, and give money to a worthy cause.

Plus, when I was a student, WHHS never lost the money total. And beating your rival is pretty sweet, even if the charities win either way. In fact, I think in the last 9 or 10 years, Eastside has only won the money total once.

Below are some of pictures of last night, where Eastside raised $150K for their charity, and Wade Hampton raised $206K for the Meyer Center. 



Louis, the ever-present security guard. Been telling people to "find a seat, gotta find a seat" for as long as I can remember. 


 WHHS student council, waiting for the check totals. 


Almost time!


Revealing $206K raised for the Meyer Center!


And WHHS wins again!

No comments:

Post a Comment