Saturday, January 7, 2012

School Spirit!

While some people might assume that a post about school spirit from me would be about Clemson (Yes, I am still a Clemson fan after our horrific defeat), I am actually talking about high school spirit.

I love my high school. That may sound silly or childish to some of you, but I have deep connections to good ole' Wade Hampton High, and those aren't going away quickly.

My connection with WHHS started in 4th grade, seriously. My dad took a job there as the athletic director, teacher, and basketball coach. That means that some Tuesdays and most Fridays in the winter, my butt was in the WHHS gym. Granted, we were at the very top corner of the gym the furthest away from the WHHS bench (just in case Dad got carried away and used some dirty words), and my nose was usually in a book, but I was there.

By the time I got to high school, I choose to apply for special permission to WHHS instead of going to the school I was zoned for. I had attended a school my dad worked for in the past and thoroughly enjoyed some of the perks (knowing who the best teachers are, refrigerator in his office, etc.). After spending 4 years there, the connection was cemented even deeper. My dad continued to work there, and my sister choose the same path, attending WHHS instead of the school she was zoned for. Even though my sister has graduated now, Dad is still there and we continue to go watch his games, and be a part of the Wade Hampton family (I wasn't voted Most Likely to Attend Every WHHS Event after Graduation for nothing people!)

Anyways, fast forward to last night, the basketball game at Greenville High. Greenville is one of Wade Hampton's arch-rivals and I cannot put into word how much the Generals needed to beat them. While I like to watch the game, one of the most fun things about being there is listening to what comes about of my sisters mouth.

Samantha has always been more into basketball than I am. I mean, don't get me wrong, I want them to win, and I will cheer and stuff, but Sam yells. And when she yells, it is usually stuff the rest of us wouldn't yell. A lot of it is basic stuff, like telling people they are awful or terrible, but sometimes she gets creative.


Some of my personal favorites from last night
  • This one kid from Greenville had a protective facemask on, so naturally every time he touched the ball, Sam yelled "Facemask!"
  • Another Greenville kid had a throw back high top haircut, so she keep yelling "Waddup Fresh Prince!"
  • When one Greenville kid was at the free throw line she said "You need to shave your nasty beard!"
  • The refs - oh the refs. Refs are usually awful, but after a particularly bad call last night, when the gym was pretty quiet, Sam yelled "You are terrible and everyone in this room hates you!" That one actually got a chuckle from the ref and the security cop. I also got her to call one of the refs "The Crypt Keeper" cause he looked like he was about 97 
  • The Greenville announcer is awful. Now, I am all for announcers being biased, but this guy was biased and cliche. He kept using the same tired sayings the whole night. He called the free throw line a  "charity line" at least 8 times, and kept saying "No soup for you!" after a block or something. After one of these incidents, Sam stood up and yelled "Just because they gave you a microphone doesn't mean you need to say something!"



Sam gets pretty fired up during games, and it's no wonder where she got that from :)


Luckily, the game was close, but we pulled away during the last few minutes and we won! Go Generals!

No comments:

Post a Comment