Sunday, February 12, 2012

Antiquing

Now, if you would have asked me a few years ago who went into antiques shops, I would have said pretty much just little old ladies, and occasionally little old men.

I believe that this was an excellent observation especially because I used to 'work' at my Nana and Papa's antiques shop - Papa's Book Haven. The store was half books, and half consignment/antiques, plus dolls and Ty Beanie Babies. So basically, for a nerdy kid like me, I spent most of my time there reading and working on my math skills by helping with customers. However, I also observed the type of people that came into the store...thus my little old lady bias.

Well then, call me a little old lady cause I am a convert.

Will and I had been discussing a need for some additional furniture in our bedroom. Specifically, we were looking for an armoire to hold some additional clothes. Since our lovely house was built in the 50's, the closets aren't exactly walk-in's. Will has been keeping his clothes in the guest bedroom and I keep mine in our bedroom. However, we thought that might be a little awkward when we invite people up to visit.

We have been casually keeping our eyes open for a wardrobe actually meant to store hanging clothes, not just built to put a TV in. Do you know how hard those things are to find?

So, when Will sent me a picture of one that his mom's friend found in a shop on Augusta Rd, we decided to go look at it Friday at lunch.

The store, Greystone Antiques actually had two armoires in stock. One of which looked like it would perfectly blend with the pieced together bedroom suite we already have. So, we made a big impulse purchase. But I love it!


When they delivered it to the house, the man let Will know that the armoire was made in London in the 1930's. It apparently breaks down to 4 pieces for easier transportation, which is good because otherwise it would be impossible to move. 


One door opens for shelves and the other two open have space for hanging clothes. We have to install a hanging rod and we will be good to go!


I love the detailing on this piece of furniture!

I am so close to being done with the master bedroom. I pretty much just need curtains, a throw, and a new hamper and trash can. I can feel everything coming together, which is such a relief. I want this room to be a serene escape for Will and I, and I think we are almost there.

I guess sometimes it feels good to be a little old lady.


1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful piece!! You've been to my house so you know I'm a little old lady, too. :) Great find!

    ReplyDelete