Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Welcome Guests!

I mentioned on my last post that the Superbowl party was the perfect excuse/deadline to get some things around the house taken care of. Well, as much as my awesome husband is super helpful and handy around the house, painting is not something he loves to do. Give him a hammer and some nails or a wrench and watch him go. But somehow, a paintbrush and roller just don't do it for him. On the other hand, I love to paint, provided I have some company. So...last weekend I invited my mom over for a painting weekend.

I decided that the guest room had to be painted. This is the room when we moved in.


Don't get me wrong, this pale green was ok. Especially for the previous owners, who had a boy and a girl in this room. But, it really wasn't working for me. 

At first, my thought was to paint the room a beautiful creamy yellow with our white iron bed. I thought it would be peaceful and a good guest room palette. However, after looking at all the things we had to decorate the room with already, we decided to go a different way. I didn't really feel like buying all new bedding, decor, and accessories, so we picked another color. 

Behr Mountain Elk

We loved the natural tone, and on the wall it looked even deeper and greener. Here are some samples.


Mom and I wrapped up the painting in a few hours, and we let it dry overnight. We put the room together about 2 hours before the party, and so far we love the way it looks. I think Will likes the color even better than our bedroom.



We still have a few finishing touches for this room. We have to hang curtains and some additional artwork. I also want to change those end tables. My idea is to sand them, paint them a creamy white, and distress them slightly. Will would prefer to strip and re-stain them to match the dresser in the room. I also want Will to make some shelves for this room that I could paint to match the end tables (if we go that way).

Overall, we still have a few things to tweak, but guests are now welcome at the Blackmon home! Hopefully we will have our first guests shortly!



No comments:

Post a Comment