Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Remember the Alamo, Part 1

After talking with some people today, I started to re-tell some of my favorite stories from Alamo, GA, the place where we lived when we first got married. I almost forgot how funny some of the stuff we experienced was. When I went back and looked at pictures, I just knew I had to do a series on some of the more bizarre things we experienced.

First of all, keep in the mind that we moved our stuff to Alamo about 3 weeks prior to getting married. The company Will was working for at the time rented us a house about a mile away from the job site they were working on. (The job was an expansion of a fully functioning prison, in case you were wondering).

So, this was our first little home


It featured 3 bedrooms, 2 baths, and some lovely brown shag carpet covered in cigarette burns from the first owner. 

Our bedroom

Cool little nook in the bedroom

The living room/dining room. 

And the thermometer that basically told us we were getting close to being in hell. This picture was taken around 10AM, and it was already 90 degrees. Did I mention that we lived in south GA (below the gnat line, which does exist, by the way), from basically May to September? Yea...

Alamo itself sits in Wheeler county, which boasted about 6,000 residents (including inmates). The town sported two restaurants, the Bulldog Cafe, open for lunch and dinner, and Sharkey's, open for breakfast and lunch. We ate a lot of sandwhichs at the house. 

However, when we wanted to go out, we needed to drive 15-20 minutes down the road to the big city of McRae. Not only did McRae have the nearest Subway and McDonald's, but they actually had an awesome Mexican restaurant with a lunch buffet. Unlimited cheese dip, yes please! Might have a small reason to do with the fact that I am doing a Biggest Loser challenge at work....


Groceries were another issue. McRae had a Harvey's, which was a really crappy grocery store, and Alamo actually had the Piglet. (No connection to Piggly Wiggly, we asked)


The Piglet featured 5 isles of sub-par, sometimes expired canned or packaged food, along with some of the stranger parts of animals that you might not find in your everyday Publix. You could get pig's feet, chicken necks, cow livers, ect. no problem. The only thing they had worthwhile was super awesome, very fresh ground beef. They probably killed the cows behind the store for all I know, it did not smell pleasant in there. For actual groceries, I drove into Dublin, about 40 minutes away to go to the nearest Kroger or Wal-Mart. I had to pack an ice chest and plan for about a week to two weeks at a time. No running to the store cause you forgot hamburger buns here!

In my next few posts, I'll take you on a little (and I mean little) tour of the town of Alamo, tell you some of our stories, and share some of the stranger pictures I've taken. Stay tuned!




No comments:

Post a Comment