Sunday, December 4, 2011

Dining Room...In Progress

When we bought the house, I knew one of the first things I wanted to do before we got a lot of furniture in was paint a few rooms. After several years of dorm and apartment living, I have had quite enough of "landlord beige".  Will, being the sensible one, asked me to pick just the ones that HAD to be painted. So, I narrowed it down to the master bedroom and the dining room. I mean, come on, those walls are begging to be painted.



We already had a color for the master bedroom, so we had to come up with something for the dining room. We found some beautiful curtains at World Market (which I am sure Santa is bringing me for Christmas)
(Image from World Market)

At first, we thought we would go with a mocha type color, but a last minute suggestion from Will for a brick red led us down an unexpected path, and these were our choices. 

We decided on the red, and went to patching and painting. (Side note: Previous owners had kids. This was the room where they ate. Kids throw a lot of food. The don't discriminate between walls, floors, baseboards, blinds, etc.)

So, after everything was cleaned and patched, we went about the task of painting a deep red on a basically white wall. In order for it to not end up pink, we knew we needed to start with a grey primer. 

The next day, Will and I started on the red. 

Oh yea, did I mention that one of the walls in the dining room was covered with grasscloth wallpaper? While we loved the texture it would give the wall in the long run, painting it was not fun. It took twice as long as the rest of the room put together, and I went cross-eyed the next day doing touch-ups. However, now that it is done, we are loving the color. Check out our work!


Now, we just need the aforementioned curtains, some stuff on the walls...oh yea, and furniture. That is another work in progress that I'll be sure to update on later. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment