Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Things I miss about Atlanta

When Will and I got the opportunity to come back to Greenville, we were ecstatic. We would be closer to our families and lots of friends, and we knew that is where we wanted to be ultimately.

But, as time passes, I start to realize there are more and more little things I miss about Atlanta.

Shocking, I know.

At first, I thought that all I was going to miss would be our wonderful small group. These guys were such a blessing when we moved to Atlanta and basically knew no one. I miss each one of these couples dearly and I wish we still lived closer (although ‘close’ in Atlanta is a relative term). I can’t wait to see them at our Winter Retreat coming up in January! I am sure we will have a blast being back together again.



As Will and I were talking last night, we kept coming back to other little things we missed about Atlanta.

First off, the restaurants. Good gracious, just the amount of choices alone was nice!
·         Los Loros – the standby Mexican joint we frequented almost once a week. In the ice storm last January, we even walked there for dinner.
·         Galla’s – Pizza joint with great atmosphere that was Will’s bachelor pad standby for the year he was there himself
·         Chow Baby – Ok, this is all me, not Will. But an endless stir fry buffet with the most awesome peanut sauce ever? Sign me up
·         Front Page News – awesome atmosphere, good food, plus the entertaining drive through Little Five Points
·         La Fonda – OMG such good salsa. Too bad they give it to you in such tiny bowls. Great Mexican food, always enough for leftovers
·         Athens Pizza – Will loved their Greek salad, I loved that we could walk across the street to get a great pizza
·         Atlanta Fish Market – I only got to go there once, but once was enough because that was the best fish I have ever had

And, ya know, even though we have our house that I love, there is a small part of me that misses our old apartment. I remember the day we found it, after looking at 10 or so apartment complexes with rising prices and shrinking square footage, we were exhausted and frustrated. When we saw the apartment, we just knew it was right. The perfect size, a nice open floor plan, not to mention double vanities, a garden tub and a walk in closet. Will and I could talk to each other from just about any two spots in the apartment and still hear each other, which was nice. But, with all those pluses came a few negatives, like rent that was more than our current mortgage and the constant hum of traffic on Clairmont.

In addition to our small group friends, we also really miss a number of friends we made while working in Atlanta. We met some awesome people through Turner and RMA. Tyler and Shea (who have two of the cutest and most well behaved little girls I know), Tommy and Hannah (two of the nicest people you would ever hope to meet), Megan (one of the best co-workers ever), Ryan and Jen (who just welcomed an adorable little boy) and Stephen and Meghan (Stephen was practically family during the first few months of our marriage) and many more. 

And I know that Will will miss being so close to the Braves. He got to go several times with friends and I even bought him nice tickets for his birthday. 



And, I don't want to say I will ever miss Atlanta traffic, but there was something strange about how quiet it was when driving back from Fountain Inn last night at 8:30. It's not the traffic I miss, but I guess I miss restaurants being open past 9 and then sense of life that Atlanta has at all hours. 

I love Greenville, and it will always be my home, but a little part of me will always miss Atlanta and the fun memories we had there. 

No comments:

Post a Comment